The Word Nerds are turning the blog over to day to New Adult author Viv Daniels to talk about her book, “One & Only.” Stick around to the end of the post for your chance to win a swag pack!
by Viv Daniels
ONE & ONLY is about Tess & Dylan, a couple who first meet at a summer program after high school and fall in love. Then Dylan goes off to one college and Tess goes off to another. Two years later, they are reunited. With all the time that’s passed, do they still have a future?
ONE & ONLY is the second “reunion romance” I’ve written. I love this kind of story. The emotion! The angst! The baggage! I can’t get enough of this storyline, either in my own writing or in any media I consume.
Without further ado, my top five reunion romances:
5) GREASE: Summer lovin’ was all well and good for Sandy and Danny, but once they got to Rydell High, all best are off and it takes them the whole year to find their way back into each other’s arms.
4) LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, by Stephanie Perkins: By the time Cricket Bell realized what the girl next door, Lola, had to offer, she was dating a bad news rocker guy. The deliciousness of this book comes from waiting for these two crazy kids to wake up and realize they were made for one another.
3) THE ODYSSEY: Talk about old school! What I love about this story, aside from the obvious, is that Penelope doesn’t take Odysseus’s s***. She is not a happy camper that he’s come swanning in after all these years of her avoiding the suitors and raising her son all on her own (thank you very much). Who can blame her for making sure he knows what their bed looks like before she lets him back in it?
2) “JOHN RILEY”: This song gives me chills. It’s about a young woman who is accosted by a stranger in her garden. He wants to marry her. She says she’s true to another man, who crossed the sea many years ago and never came back. OR DID HE?
1) PERSUASION: (You knew it was coming!) Oh, this book. How I love this book. I love it so much I wrote a retelling of it. Wentworth is totally the captain of my dreamboat. Anne Elliot’s constancy and strength of will is astounding. These two so deserve their final happiness.
So. Want to win a swag pack that includes a One & Only bookmark, an assortment of gifts and books from Viv Daniels and other “new adult” authors, and a One & Only charm? We thought you would. Leave a comment about your favorite Reunion Romance and you’re entered for a Word Nerds exclusive giveaway. Can’t think of your favorite? Just drop your name in the comments and you’re entered. We’ll draw a winner on 11/20 from all the comments received by then!