Whoa it’s Monday, and it’s a Stacie post. I (that would be Bethany) will explain the switch tomorrow!
I find certain things essential to the creative process:
- Write regularly. It’s a good habit to have a daily word goal and stick to it. The practice of “butt in chair” is the only thing that ends up with pages that can be eda. Iiting.
- Music. It’s a great way to set the mood for writing, block out distractions and focus on the work at hand.
- News sources. Well, maybe not traditional news sources, but there are several websites that I love to read every day to keep the idea mill going.
- Kottke.org: Run by Jason Kottke, the site is full of links to interesting articles, ideas and breaking news.
- Digg.com: Digg is a multi-person team whose goal is to deliver the most talked about internet articles.
- Fast Company: An extension of the print magazine, Fast Company has thought leaders and business implications and as well as articles about how the world is changing.
I need to add TED Talks. Most of them I’ve heard about are videos, and I’m more of a reader, so the medium hurdle is preventing me from getting there.
Some times, things I’ve read on one site will show up in another. Other times, I find interesting ideas and think about how I could combine them into a plot.
How do you feed the creative spark?